Monday, May 31, 2010

Loaves!


OK....So I am making my loaves today. I pick one Sunday, then gather all ingredients & make a BUNCH of loaves. They usually last me WEEKS!!!! I make them then freeze them. Pulling one out a week to use. It is so inexpensive & an AMAZING time saver!! You can be as creative as you like. With unlimited possibilities & combination's of ingredients there is NO WAY you could get bored with this food!!! And after counting the number of loaves & dividing that by the cost of ingredients.....It comes out to about $1.50 a serving!!! (With this particular batch) So if you say you don't think you can't be Vegan & use only Organic ingredients because it is too expensive....THAT'S BULL my friend!! Just think how much you usually spend on your main dish!!! I KNOW it's more than a buck fifty!! This time I used~~~


Chick Peas (Two 25oz. cans---drained)
Brown Rice (a 2lb. bag)

Whole Wheat Flour ( unmeasured amount----just use as much as you want to bind it.....not tooooo much or else it will taste too "flour-y")
Olive Oil

Vegetable Broth ( a bit in after the flour to moisten & add more flavor)

Sea Salt

Black Pepper
Sage

Basil

Carrots (about 8 good size ones)
Celery (a whole package)

Onion ( one big one)

Garlic ( a whole bulb)
Portabello Mushrooms (two big ones)

Pumpkin Seeds About 1/2 cup)

Flax Seeds (as much as you want)
Sunflower Seeds (about 1/2 cup)
Sesame Seeds (as much as you want)

(All the seeds were toasted before hand & chopped lightly)


All of my ingredients were Organic as well.


I pureed the chickpea's & half of the brown rice.
The other half of the rice I left whole. (Plus I left out just a bit....so not quite the whole 2lb. bag went into the loaves, but I cooked the whole bag & put the remainder in the fridge to be a time saver for some other night's side dish)

I chopped up all the veggies & used them raw.


I only used the Olive Oil to coat the loaf pan & on the top as little before I baked it.


I used the salt & pepper in the recipe as well as on top just before baking.


Baked at 350 degrees for an hour a piece.(I like mine on the crunchy side....if you don't, do 45 min.)


Then when it's done.....let cool a bit.....take it out of loaf pan.....wrap it in tin foil & freeze!!! Loaves hold together better after they cool & even BETTER after they've been frozen.


Then all that's left to do is slice a piece & enjoy!!! You can dress it up anyway you choose. I like Organic Ketchup....Salsa......On whole wheat bread with avocado or raw onion with Nayonaisse...on & on.....The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!


The key to STAYING Vegan is having the right foods ON HAND so you aren't tempted by crap. Plus KEEP IT FUN!!! There are so many yummy veggies out there & available right now, making your own personalized loaf is SO FUN!!!

I KNOW you'll be so excited you'll want to share it with a friend!!!

SO MAKE SOME LOAVES & SPREAD THE WORD!!!


GO VEGAN!!!!! <3<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment